On our way back from a lunch at the Le Cerf, Marlenheim (one Michelin *) we stopped at Avolsheim to see the Romanesque churches which are among the oldest in Alsace.
Unfortunately the eglise de Dompeter (built about 1050) has undergone significant restoration and little of the Romanesque building remains visible except the column bases and a few stones in the walls.
There is another chapel in the village, St Ulrich, which may once have been the baptistry to a now-demolished larger church. It contains some 12C frescoes which were rediscovered in 1967/8 when some whitewash was removed. The chapel was built at the end of the 10C with the belfry drum added in 1160-80.
Click on the photograph or the link below to go to the page containing a 360˚ panorama of the interior of the chapel
12C Fresco, St Ulrich Chapel, Avolsheim, Alsace